When it comes to teaching literature, some homeschool families like to use curricula that comes complete with pre-determined reading lists, and comprehension and discussion questions. Other families like to choose their own books and corresponding literature guides for those book, many of which are available for free. But what if you want a literary analysis study with questions, activities and essay topics that can be used with any book?
Since all works of fiction share the same basic elements, you can help your kids recognize and evaluate these elements using more generic resources. Here are some that are free:
These slide presentations and interactive worksheets are great for studying individual literary devices, such as:
Literary Elements Lessons: This 88-page document includes 18 lessons, each covering a specific literary element, like symbolism or personification. The lessons include short reading passages and questions. The document also includes answer keys.
Literary Analysis Worksheets: Descriptions of figurative elements, with comprehension questions after each.
EReading Worksheets: Worksheets for studying elements and figurative language.
If you want to delve deeper, you can get into the various techniques writers use, such as symbolism, tone, diction and point of view. Here are several worksheets to help study these:
- Questions to consider when analyzing setting, plot, character, point of view, symbolism, and theme. 6pp.
- These worksheets provide suggestions for analyzing plot, point of view, tone, character, setting, theme, style, diction, syntax, imagery, symbolism, figurative language, irony, and quotes. 8 pp.
- Blank chart to fill in with information on various literary elements. 4 pp.:
You can also study based on the type of work, for example, analyzing a play (4 pp.) or poetry (3 pp.). This generic novel study guide breaks a book into thirds, with suggested questions for the beginning, middle, and end of a book. Includes word study and activity suggestions. (4 pp.)
- Literature Analysis Prompts: Suggestions for examining literary elements.
- Glencoe Literature Study Guides
- Study Literary Elements in Short Stories